Dr. Martin J. Rogers, DDS | Dr. Matthew C. Davis, DDS
Dr. Timothy J. Rogers, DDS, MS | Dr. Paulina Erdle, DMD
(847) 729-8400 | Fax (847) 729-8408
1775 Glenview Road #217, Glenview, IL 60025



Our specialty of Endodontics is focused on providing care to those patients with dental pain and/or infections. We at Best Endodontics of Glenview will be open to seeing those patients with emergent or urgent care needs. Closing our office or turning away patients who have dental pain and/or infection would not only be unethical but unconscionable. This also serves to keep patients with dental issues out of hospitals and emergency care clinics. Our protocol is in agreement with the American Dental Association’s and Illinois State Dental Society’s current COVID-19 treatment guidelines.

To ensure the safety of our patients, family members, communities, and dental team members, our office will continue to provide proper OSHA infection control protocols (handwashing, hand sanitizing, gloves, masks, etc.), with additional efforts of thorough disinfection of common areas, and maintaining social distance in the waiting rooms. We will see only patients who are in need of urgent or emergent care through Tuesday, March 31, or until further notice depending on the pandemic situation surrounding COVID-19.

Traumatic Injuries

Traumatic Tooth Injuries

Your dentist, possibly an oral surgeon, and endodontist may be involved in the evaluation and treatment of the injured tooth.  It is recommended to see your dentist immediately following the injury for evaluation and stabilization of the tooth.  Endodontists are commonly involved to evaluate the status of the root and pulp.  Listed below are some of the different types of traumatic dental injuries, each of which requires certain management protocols:

Crown Fractures (“Broken Tooth”)

If a piece of your tooth breaks off, your dentist will need to cosmetically restore the crown of the tooth.  If a larger segment of tooth breaks the pulp may be exposed and will require endodontic treatment.  For the adult tooth this would consist of root canal treatment.  In a developing tooth there may be other endodontic treatments that can potentially protect the pulp.

Displaced Teeth (Luxation Injury)

Traumatic injuries to the mouth can cause teeth to be moved out of their normal positions.  The tooth may look like it is pushed to the side (lateral luxation injury), into the socket (intrusion injury), or partially out of the socket (extrusion injury).  It is important to see your general dentist or an oral surgeon immediately following the injury so the tooth can be repositioned and stabilized with a splint.

Root canal treatment is often necessary following these displacement injuries.  We recommend an endodontic evaluation one to two weeks after splint placement to determine the status of the pulp and initiate root canal treatment if necessary.

Avulsed (“Knocked Out”) Teeth

If an injury causes a tooth to be completely knocked out of your mouth, it is important that you seek dental treatment immediately.  It is also essential that you protect the tooth from drying out.  If possible, gently rinse the root of the tooth with saline, milk or water and put it back into the socket.  If you cannot replant the tooth in its socket, you can store the tooth in milk or saline.  See your dentist or an oral surgeon for tooth stabilization with a splint as soon as possible.  Ideally your tooth should be replanted back into your mouth within an hour of injury.

Root canal treatment is necessary following an avulsion injury to an adult tooth.  In a developing, immature tooth root canal treatment may be avoided.  We recommend an endodontic evaluation one to two weeks after the injury (following splinting) to determine the status of the pulp and initiate root canal treatment if necessary.